Who can access the NDIS? Am I eligible?
If you are aged under 65 years and have a permanent and significant disability, you may be eligible for NDIS services. Find out about your NDIS eligibility.
The NDIS provides support for people with disability to achieve their goals, participate in their community, and be part of the workforce.
To become an NDIS participant you must satisfy each of the following conditions through an assessment that will be conducted by the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA).
- Disability requirement You have a permanent disability that significantly affects your ability to take part in everyday activities, such as dressing, showering, cleaning your house, or travelling around your community
- Age requirement You are aged less than 65 years when you register for the NDIS
- Residency requirement You are an Australian citizen, hold a permanent visa, or have a Protected Special Category visa
The NDIA will ask you questions to see if you meet ALL of the following conditions:
- You have an impairment or condition that is likely to be permanent
- Your impairment substantially reduces your ability to participate effectively in activities, or perform tasks or actions unless you have:
- assistance from other people, or
- assistive technology or equipment (other than common items such as glasses), or
- you can’t participate effectively even with assistance or aids and equipment
- Your impairment affects your capacity for social and economic participation
- You are likely to require support under the NDIS for your lifetime
NDIA may ask you to provide information about your disability, development delay, or early intervention requirements. This may include providing copies of existing letters, assessments or reports from health or educational professionals that detail your impairment and its impact on your daily life.
NDIS Eligibility Age Requirement
You must be aged under 65 years at the time you register for an assessment with NDIA. As long as your register before your 65th birthday, and satisfy the other eligibility requirements, you will be able to choose if you use NDIS services or aged care services.
To access the NDIS, you must live in Australia and be ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
- An Australian citizen
- A permanent resident
- Hold a Protected Special Category Visa
What If I’m Not Eligible?
To ensure you receive the right support it’s important to find out if you’re eligible for the NDIS by completing your registration and assessment.
If you are not eligible for NDIS, aged under 65 years, and have a disability or other condition that restricts your ability to carry out everyday activities, you may be eligible for disability & health services through a variety of programs in NSW.
If you are over the age of 65 (or over 50 years for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders), you may be eligible for aged home care services through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP).
Reach out to us to learn more about your NDIS eligibility for funding.
How Do I Register?
Call us now on (02) 4607 2697 for assistance to contact NDIA to start your NDIS registration and find out if you’re eligible.